Technical Exams - Geoscience
This page explains the application process for geoscientist-in-training applicants who have been assigned technical exams by the academic review committee. If you have not had an academic review and been assigned exams, then you should not be submitting an application to write technical exams.
Exam Schedule and Fees
Some technical exams for geoscience are offered in through Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) and some are offered through Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO). The exams are offered twice a year in May and December.
The spring 2017 exam applications will be posted on this webpage once they are available. There are two different applications, one for APEGA exams and one for PEO exams. For a list of exams offered by APEGA click here APEGA exams. For a list of exams offered by PEO click here PEO exams.
The fee for writing APEGA exams is $190.00 per paper OR $400.00 if you are the only exam candidate who registers for a particular exam. The fee for writing PEO exams is $175.
Exam Application Process
1. Check the letter you received from APEGS to ensure that you apply for the correct exam.
2. CLick here to download Spring 2017 PEO exam application. You must print out the form and sign it. You should submit the signed form to AcademicReview@apegs.ca, and use the subject title "technical exam application".
The PEO exams will be writen the week of May 8th-12th, 2017. The deadline to submit an application is February 22, 2017. Exam applications may be accepted after that deadline if the exam has already been requested by somebody else. The last day to withdraw from exams and receive a refund of the application fee is March 9 2017. Click here for more details on the examination program for geoscience Exam information-geoscience.
May 2017 Exam Information
The exam schedules and other information will be posted here as it becomes available.
What Happens Next?
1. Although the technical exams are set by APEGA and PEO, APEGS will coordinate the exam writing process for you. APEGS will confirm receipt of your application by sending you a receipt for payment of the exam application fee.
2. The technical exam schedules will be posted on this page of the website as soon they are available. You should check here to find the date and time of your exam.
3. If you choose to write your exam in Regina, you must write it at the APEGS office and APEGS staff will invigilate for you. APEGS also has sites in Moose Jaw, North Battleford, Prince Albert, Yorkton and Saskatoon where we will provide the invigilation service. If you choose to write your exam in location not listed here, you must arrange for someone to invigilate the exam for you. The invigilator must be either a P.Eng. or P.Geo. registered somewhere in Canada, or an admistrative official with a post-secondary institution, or another suitable person approved by APEGS.
4. If you are not writing your exam at one of the pre-arranged APEGS locations, then you must notify APEGS of the person who has agreed to invigilate your exam, and you must provide their contact information, including name, address, phone number, and email address. APEGS will contact them to confirm that they are willing to act as an invigilator and explain the process to them.
5. APEGS will provide the exam paper and instructions to the invigilator. The invigilator will send the completed exam back to APEGS.
6. APEGS sends the exams to APEGA or PEO for marking. The results of your exam will be sent to you by mail approximately 2 months after the exam you write the exam.
7. You will not be permitted to view your exam after it has been marked.
How do I find study materials for my exam?
The Exam information document provides important information on APEGS exam program and process. You should read it before you proceed with your exam application. The exam schedule, exam formats and list of aids permitted will be posted here once they are available.