Due to COVID-19, the APEGS office is closed and staff is working remotely until further notice. Our response time may be longer than usual. We appreciate your patience, and we apologize for the inconvenience.
Canadian Geoscience Graduates
Notice: COVID-19 and Cancellation of field schools.
- Field Techniques is a foundational geoscience subject and will not be waived for those graduating during COVID-19.
- APEGS will accept other types of field experience in-lieu of a formal field school course.
- Field experience must be verifiable and must meet the requirement for the subject Field Techniques as set out in Geoscience Knowledge and Experience Requirements for Professional Registration in Canada (GKE).
Member-in-training Application Process
If you are on this page, then you have a four-year bachelor level university program of study in geoscience from a Canadian university.
If you have a four-year bachelor degree in a field related to geoscience (such as soil science or environmental science), from a Canadian university, and you think you meet the academic requirements then you must follow the same process as International Geoscience Graduates.
The application process is summerized in the following document.
APEGS application Process - Canadian geoscience graduate
If you have experience in geoscience but do not have a four-year bachelor level education in geoscience, then you should read the Geoscience Licensee page to see if you may be eligible for a Geoscience Licensee.
The following documents are required for this process:
- Member-in-training application and fee ($210 includnig tax).
- Original or notarized/certified copies of all university transcripts.
- If you received transfer credits, the details of the credit must appear on your transcripts. If they are not listed, provide a transcript from the institution the courses were originally taken.
- Course descriptions will be requested if needed.
- Proof of Identification.
- Direct Confirmation of Graduation.
All documents must be mailed to APEGS. Scanned or faxed copies are not acceptable.
Your Contact InformationOnce you have applied with APEGS we need to be able to contact you both by email and by regular mail. It is very important that you keep your contact information up to date or you may not receive important correspondence regarding your file. It is your responsibility to make sure the information we have is correct and up to date. You can do this using APEGS Central (the new online profile).
Instructions to access APEGS Central (the new online profile):
To access APEGS Central, click Login on the top right corner of any page on the APEGS website.
Step 1: Submit Application
Online application instructions for first time applicants who have never applied to APEGS in the past:
1) Create an account with APEGS* and follow the instructions on screen:
* If you have applied to APEGS in the past then you already have an account and you would not use this sign up page. You would go straight to APEGS Central (your online profile) by clicking “Login” on the top right corner of this page. If you don’t remember your former registration number/User ID with APEGS, please contact the APEGS office: 306-525-9547, toll free 1-800-500-9547, or email@example.com.
2) Check your email for “APEGS sign up verification” from APEGS firstname.lastname@example.org. The link in this email will take you to APEGS Central homepage and click on "Applications" tab which is on the left side of APEGS Central home page.
3) Select “Apply Now”.
4) Follow the instructions on screen to choose the correct application type (Geoscientist-in-Training - Canadian graduate).
Step 2: Submit Required Documents to APEGS
- Transcript(s) and Degree Certificate(s)
Originals, notarized copies or certified copies of transcript of marks and degree certificate(s) for all university level education. If you received transfer credits, ensure that the transcripts provide this information or provide transcripts from the institution where the courses were originally taken.
- Proof of identification
You must provide proof of your identity.
If you bring your application to the APEGS office in person, you must also bring ID; Only with the ID can the APEGS staff can sign your guarantor form.
Step 3: Direct Confirmation of Graduation
How do I provide Direct Confirmation of Graduation?
Option 1: Send the Confirmation of Graduation form to the institution where you received your bachelor degree. You complete the top two boxes of the form and send it to the university where you completed your bachelor degree. The university will then complete the bottom box and send it directly to APEGS as per the instructions on the form.
Option 2: Order original transcripts from the institution where you received your bachelor degree to be sent directly to APEGS. The transcript must show the degree awarded.
Once you have completed you application and all documents have been received, APEGS will assess all of your courses to determine if you meet the Canadian Council of Professional Geoscientists knowledge requirement outlined in the document “Geoscience Knowledge and Experience Requirements for Professional Registration in Canada” (GKE). The APEGS Knowledge Requirement course lists for University of Regina and University of Saskatchewan are attached below. If you graduated from a Canadian University outside of Saskatchewan please refer to the GKE for details of the academic requirement.
- Nov 2019 - Environmental Geoscience UofS course list
- Mar 2019 - Geology UofS course list
- Mar 2019 - Geophysics UofS course list
- Sept 2018 - Geology UofR course list
- Sept 2018 - Environmental Geoscience UofR course list
In our assessment, we will include all relevant courses taken at the university level, including graduate studies courses, thesis subject(s) and university courses you taught, if applicable. You must write to explain about university level courses you have taught, if applicable. If we determine that you are missing some subjects from the knowledge requirement, we will contact you and explain how you can fulfill them.
If you think that you may not meet the Knowledge Requirement, contact us at Questions-AcademicReview@apegs.ca.
What if I'm not sure I'll meet the academic requirements for geoscientist-in-training?
If you are not sure if you meet the academic requirements for geoscientist-in-training, you should apply as a geoscientist-in-training anyway and see what the results are. If your result shows that you do not meet the academic requirements, your options would be to fulfill the deficiencies, or apply as a geoscience licensee. There is no application fee for geoscience licensee if you applied as a geoscientist-in-training in the past.
If during the registration process APEGS discovers that an applicant or member may not meet the Good Character Guideline then action will be taken.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on member-in-training applications can be found here.
If you have any questions concerning the application process for Canadian geoscience graduates, please contact the APEGS office: Local Regina 306-525-9547, Toll free 1-800-500-9547 or by email at Questions-AcademicReview@apegs.ca.
Confirmation of graduation form
Proof of ID policy
Proof of Identification Form with example.pdf
Geoscience Knowledge and Experience Requirements (GKE)
Geology UofR course list.pdf
Environmental Geoscience UofR course list.pdf
Geophysics UofS course list
Geology UofS course list
Environmental Geoscience UofS course list
Good Character Guideline
Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan
Regulating the professions. Protecting the public.