Due to COVID-19, the APEGS office is closed and staff is working remotely until further notice. Our response time may be longer than usual. We appreciate your patience, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

International Mobility - engineers

The APEGS Council has endorsed the Mutual Recognition Agreements (MRAs) that Engineers Canada has negotiated. There are currently no MRAs for geoscientists. There are two types of MRAs; academic level and professional level as explained below. 

Academic Level Mutual Recognition Agreements (MRAs) 

This type of MRA recognizes your academic preparation so that you do not have to write technical exams. We have MRAs in place with these countries: 

Australia, Canada, China, Chinese Taipei, Costa Rica, France, Hong Kong China, India, Ireland, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, Pakistan, Peru, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States. 

All the countries listed above except for France are included under the MRA called the Washington Accord. There is a separate agreement for France (CTI)

If you have received a bachelor degree that is accredited by the accreditation body recognized in one of these countries, and you received your degree after that country became a member of the Washington Accord, and the institution is located in the country where the accreditation body is located, then you follow the application instructions found on the, International Engineering Graduate page. You will not have to pay the academic assessment fee. If you do not qualify under an MRA, then you will have pay the academic assessment fee.  

You will find full details on the Washington Accord and other MRAs on this Engineers Canada Web page: http://www.ieagreements.org/accords/washington/signatories/

Professional Level Mutual Recognition Agreements (MRAs) 

This type of MRA recognizes your academic preparation plus some of your work experience. Under these MRAs, you will still have to pass the Professional Practice Exam (on Canadian law and ethics, not a technical exam), meet the Canadian Experience Competencies (CECs), and provide references from three professional engineers or geoscientists.

Engineers Canada has professional level MRAs with these countries: 

Australia, Hong Kong, Ireland, Mexico, United States

Engineers registered in Texas or Mexico should refer to the Temporary Licensee page to see if they qualify for this licencing option.  

If you qualify under a professional level MRA then you should folllow the process on the International Engineering Graduate page; however you do not need to submit the academic assessment form and fee.

For more information on these MRAs refer to the information on the Engineers Canada Web site:



Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan
Regulating the professions. Protecting the public.