(from APEGS member-in-training)
If you are on this page, then you are already licensed as a Geoscientist-in-Training or an Engineer-in-Training with APEGS and you are ready to apply for professional membership (P.Geo. or P.Eng.).
To apply for your professional status you must meet these five requirements:
- You must have 4 years of work experience approved by the Experience Review Committee.
- NOTICE: A new experience reporting system for engineers-in-training comes into effect on January 1, 2019 and the information on that page will no longer apply. Any "first time" experience reports in the current system must be received at the APEGS office completed in full by December 31, 2018 in order to be assessed under the outgoing system. See the Competency-Based Assessment web page for all the details on the upcoming change.
- You must have passed the Professional Practice Exam
- You must meet the Good Character Guideline
- You must have three professional geoscientists or professional engineers who can act as references (names are requested in the professional member application)
- English competence. If your first language is not English and you have not completed a university degree at an institution where the language of instruction was English, then you must provide proof of competence in English*. See the English Competence Policy details.
NEW - at the bottom of this page, see the YouTube video of the brief overview on how to become a P.Eng. or P.Geo. with APEGS.
The Member-In-Training page explains the requirements a member-in-training must meet before he or she may apply as a professional member.
Once your work experience has been approved and you have passed the PPE, you may apply for professional membership. The professional member application is built into your professional member workflow found under "Applications" in APEGS Central (the new online profile). You may complete your application at the same time as your PPE application and/or your final experience report, if that is the last requirement to be met.
Step 1: Complete the Professional Member Application
Online application instructions for current members-in-training who are working toward professional membership
Click here for online application instructions including screen shots.
1) Log into APEGS Central (your online profile) by clicking “Login” on the top right corner of the APEGS home page www.apegs.ca. If you don’t remember your former registration number or application number with APEGS, please contact the APEGS office: 306-525-9547, toll free 1-800-500-9547, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) Select “Applications”:
3) Select the application “Professional Member from APEGS Member-in-Training”.
a) The professional member application workflow was automatically started when your member-in-training application was approved because you submit work experience and pass the PPE before you apply as a professional member.
i) You do not select "Apply Now". You will not find this application type listed there already because your professional member application workflow has already been initiated.
b) If you do not see the application “Professional Member from APEGS Member-in-Training” listed on the Applications page, contact the APEGS office.
4) View the status of your work experience submissions by clicking “Work Experience Submission”. For information on how to report experience, go to the APEGS website under Apply, Work Experience Reporting.
5) You may write the PPE any time after one post-bachelors experience submission is completed in full (it does not have to be approved yet). For PPE information to go the APEGS website under Apply, Professional Practice Exam.
6) You may apply as a professional member as soon as you have written the PPE (anticipating that you passed) and your final experience submission is completed in full (it does not have to be approved yet). This will give us time to gather references while you are waiting for your PPE mark and/or results on your final experience submission. Click on “Application Form” to apply. The professional member application form task will be visible but locked in the application workflow in APEGS Central until you are eligible to apply for professional member. If the application task is locked and you think it should be unlocked, contact Alex at email@example.com.
APEGS will contact your professional references. Reference forms are exchanged directly between referees and the APEGS office. No action is required on your part.
After your application is approved by the Registrar you will be notified by automatic email on how to check your application status and pay annual fees.
You have the privilege of using one of the protected titles only after you have been approved.
After you have paid annual fees, your stamp will be delivered which can take up to five weeks (longer if outside Canada).
Your certificate will be delivered after it is signed which can take up to six weeks. You do not need your certificate in your possession in order to start using one of the protected titles.
Is anything else required?
You may submit the following applications at the same time as your professional member application, if they are required:
I am an appropriately licensed individual (or have applied) and need Permission to Consult
I am applying on behalf of a company for a Certificate of Authorization
If during the registration process APEGS discovers that an applicant or member may not meet the Good Character Guideline then action will be taken.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Professional Member (from APEGS member-in-training) applications can be found here.
If you have any questions concerning the application process for professional membership, please contact Alex Chabun, Registration Assistant at the APEGS office: Local Regina 306-525-9547, Toll free 1-800-500-9547 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Video - Brief overview of how to become a P.Eng. or P.Geo.
Below is a YouTube video on how to become a P.Eng. or P.Geo.
NOTE - this video mentions the outgoing paper-based experience reporting system. Experience reporting is one component of becoming a professional member. The new online Competency-Based Assessment (CBA) experience reporting system that is coming into effect on January 1, 2019 has professional references incorporated into it, so APEGS will not normally send out additional reference forms to your references (unless there are people you want to use as references that you did not list in the online CBA system). See the CBA web page for more information.
Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan
Achieving a Safe & Prosperous Future Through Engineering & Geoscience