Apply for membership  |  Login

International Mobility - United States

Registration alternatives for professional engineers registered in the United States

There are three alternative paths to registration in Saskatchewan for professional engineers registered in the United States, depending on the background and qualifications of the applicant. The information on this page does not apply to geoscientists registered in the United States.

The registration options for professional engineers registered in the United States are as follows:

1) Inter-Association mobility within Canada,

2) Temporary licence,

3) Engineer-in-Training to Professional Engineer (normal registration route).

An applicant who does not qualify for option 1 or 2 must choose option 3
. Please see detailed information below on each of these three options.

OPTION 1 - Inter-Association mobility within Canada

An individual previously or currently registered as a professional engineer in at least one of the professional engineering Associations/Ordre in Canada which is equivalent to APEGS may apply for professional engineer through Inter-Association Mobility. A list of Associations/Ordre equivalent to APEGS can be found on the Engineers Canada web site:

OPTION 2 - Temporary Licence

A temporary licence is available to professional engineers registered in the State of Texas who have a bachelor level university program of study in engineering. See the Temporary Licensee web page to see if you are eligible. Some applicants choose to get registered in the State of Texas to take advantage of this registration type, then write the PPE as soon as they are able.

OPTION 3 - Engineer-in-Training to Professional Engineer

An individual who does not qualify under Option 1 (inter-Association mobility) or Option 2 (temporary licence) described above, must start by applying as an engineer-in-training and go through the normal engineer-in-training to professional engineer route.

Engineer-in-training status is granted based on acceptable academic preparation. A PE who is registered in a State or States other than Texas are automatically qualified for registration as an engineer-in-training provided that person has the equivalent of a bachelor-level university program of study in engineering (see International Engineering Graduates for further information). In order for the engineer-in-training to then attain Professional Engineer status, the individual must provide evidence of four years of acceptable engineering work experience and pass the Professional Practice Exam (note that this requirement can be satisfied by passing the PPE of another Canadian provincial or territorial association). There is no minimum time period during which the individual must remain an engineer-in-training and therefore a person with sufficient acceptable experience may expect to become a professional engineer shortly after acceptance of experience and successful completion of the Professional Practice Exam. An individual who is an engineer-in-training may practice professional engineering in Saskatchewan under the supervision of a Professional Engineer registered with APEGS. If you have an NCEES Record, then it will suffice for academic documents, experience review and references. If you do not have an NCEES Record, then you must submit  a detailed resume and we will gather references in order for the Experience Review Committee (ERC) to assess your experience.

The major factors to consider when deciding whether or not you will register as a Temporary Licensee or a full P.Eng. member are as follows:

  • A full P.Eng. member has access to registration in other provinces in Canada under Inter-Association Mobility. There is no such mobility agreement for the APEGS Temporary Licence. See Inter-Association Mobility for further details.
  • A Temporary Licensee does not have to write the PPE, however, can do so at a later date in order to become a full P.Eng. member. See Professional Practice Exam for the application form and exam dates. Note that this requirement can be satisfied by passing the PPE of another Canadian provincial or territorial association. 
  • Obtaining registration in the State of Texas for the sole reason of becoming a Temporary Licensee in Saskatchewan may be worthwhile. It may be convenient for you to obtain a PE licence in Texas in order to take advantage of the temporary licence opportunity available through NAFTA. If you choose not to do that or do not have the required number of years of experience as shown in Option 2 above, then you must do the full engineer-in-training to professional engineer route.


Requirements for Option 3 (Engineer-in-Training to P.Eng.)

  • Engineer-in-training application and fee ($210).
  • Academic documents
  • Work experience history
  • Proof of ID
  • Pass the Professional Practice Exam (PPE). This is an exam on Canadian law and ethics and is not a technical exam.
  • Professional member application (link to Professional Member). If you submit an NCEES Record, the references contained therein will suffice.

The Member-in-Training page explains the requirements an engineer-in-training must meet before he or she may apply as a professional engineer.

Application Process - Option 3 (Engineer-in-Training to P.Eng.)

Step 1 - Submit Member-in-Training Application

On-line Member-in-Training Application

You may apply for engineer-in-training online using a credit card. This is the quickest and preferred way to apply. Choose the application type "Engineer-in-Training – Intl Grad”.


Member-in-Training Paper Application Form 

You may apply using the printed application form only if a company is paying the application fee by cheque or the company who is paying the application fee does not pay GST (such as Government of Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan Watershed Authority). Do not submit the paper application form if you apply on-line.

Step 2 - Submit NCEES Record or Academic and Work Experience Documents

Academic and Experience Records 

Option 1: You may have your NCEES Record sent directly to APEGS (if you have one or will be starting one in order to apply with APEGS). If NCEES will be notifying APEGS directly by email that your Record is available for download, it is not necessary for NCEES to mail or courier the paper Record.

Option 2: If you do not have a NCEES Record and do not wish to start one, then academic and experience information must be provided to APEGS separately:

  • To provide a record of your academic qualifications you must apply for a credential assessment by World Education Services (WES). Click here to go the the APEGS WES webpage
  • To provide a record of your work experience you must send your resume. We will contact you for the names of three references. Their responses will be provided to the Experience Review Committee along with your resume.

Step 3 - Proof of Identification

You must provide proof of your identity.

Applicant Identification Policy

Proof of ID form  

Proof of ID documents must be mailed to APEGS. Scanned or faxed copies are not acceptable.

Step 4 – Pass the PPE and apply as a professional engineer

These two requirements are the same as for all members-in-training. The Member-in-Training page explains these requirements. References who were contacted during the experience review step will not be contacted again. Note that the Professional Practice Exam (PPE) can be satisfied by passing the PPE of another Canadian provincial or territorial association. 

Next Steps

APEGS will contact your professional references. Reference forms are exchanged directly between referees and the APEGS office. No action is required on your part.

Is anything else required?

You may submit the following applications at the same time as your temporary licensee or professional member application, if they are required:

Permission to Consult

I am an appropriately licensed individual (or have applied) and need Permission to Consult

Certificate of Authorization

I am applying on behalf of a company for a Certificate of Authorization


If during the registration process APEGS discovers that an applicant or member may not meet the Good Character Guideline then action will be taken.


If you have any questions concerning the registration alternatives for US applicants, please contact Tina Maki, Director of Registration at the APEGS office: Local Regina 525-9547, Toll free 1-800-500-9547 or by email at


Related Documents

Member-in-Training Paper Application Form 
Applicant Identification Policy
Proof of ID form 
Good Character Guideline

Related Links

Inter-Association Mobility
Temporary Licensee
Professional Practice Exam
On-line Application System

Permission to Consult
Certificate of Authorization

Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan
Achieving a Safe & Prosperous Future Through Engineering & Geoscience