Due to COVID-19, the APEGS office is closed and staff is working remotely until further notice. Our response time may be longer than usual. We appreciate your patience, and we apologize for the inconvenience.
Orano Canada is seeking a Metallurgist in McClean Lake, Saskatchewan.
To view the full job posting please see ORANO CANADA - Metallurgist.pdf
Reporting to the Senior Metallurgist, this position is responsible for the following duties:
- Actively demonstrate a commitment to Safety and Environmental stewardship
- Develop and apply working knowledge and expertise in process design and metallurgical unit operations, and provide formal and informal training to others
- Develop and apply working knowledge of the process data systems (data historian, SQL/Access and visualization tools) to support reporting, troubleshooting and investigative functions of the role
- Timely delivery of mill metallurgical accounting and performance reporting, including updating production/reagent forecasting
- Review and update of Mill Sampling and Operating Guidelines, with follow up on conformance
- Work within and support the Change Control process
- Support commissioning of new equipment/systems
- Apply investigative and continuous improvement principles at personal, group and operational levels
- Provide technical support/context to all mill departments (Operations, Maintenance, Safety, Environment etc.) in an expedient and sustainable manner
- Liaise with corporate and/or external resources as required
- Conduct metallurgical test work and fill in for Metallurgical Technician in their absence
- Embrace and support Operational Excellence efforts and OE Culture
- Comply with all Orano health, safety, environmental and ethics policies, practices and procedures
- Promote and adhere to Orano Canada’s values: Customer Satisfaction, Continuous Improvement, Respect and People Development, Cohesion and Team Spirit, and Exemplarity, Integrity, Responsibility.
- Other duties as assigned by Senior Metallurgist
Skills and Qualifications for the position include:
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Chemical or Metallurgical Engineering and eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer with APEGS
- A minimum of 4 years industry experience is preferred
- Experience and knowledge of industrial processes and process equipment
- Experience in OSIsoft PI, including PI Asset Framework and PI Vision is an asset
- Uranium ore processing experience is an asset
- Demonstrate increasing level of responsibility
- Comfortable working in an industrial plant and laboratory environment
- Understanding of the conventional unit processes in mineral processing and hydrometallurgy
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Proficient in working with Microsoft Office suite of products and ability to learn other applications as required
- Ability to foster and maintain good working relationships with other departments within the company
- Ability to work in a team environment, as well as working independently
- Ability to innovate in the areas of uranium processing with a focus on plant efficiency, capital and operating cost optimization and compliance to environmental regulations
- Working knowledge of risk assessment (HAZID/HAZOP) will be an asset
Work Location & Schedule:
- McClean Lake site
- 14 days in and 14 days out rotating schedule
- Normally an 11 hour work day, although some activity outside or normal working hours may be required
Fly Day- This position will fly in and fly out on Tuesday
Pick-Up Points: Saskatoon, Prince Albert, La Ronge, Buffalo Narrows and the designated communities in the Athabasca region of Camsell Portage, Uranium City, Stony Rapids, Fond du Lac, and Wollaston.
As a condition of employment the successful candidate must complete Orano’s pre-employment checks including education verification and employment reference checks.
Drug (including marijuana) and alcohol substance testing is a requirement for all Safety Sensitive positions. Applicants who have recently used marijuana recreationally may not pass a substance test as marijuana can remain in the user’s system for as many as 30 days after use.
Orano is an equal opportunity employer. We value the knowledge, experience and cultures and commit to the advancement of Indigenous Peoples, Women, Visible Minorities and People with Disabilities and strongly encourage all candidates from these designated groups to apply for our career opportunities.
Apply online at www.oranocanada.com by October 8th, 2021.
Job #: 021-117-M
Active from 9/14/2021 to 10/9/2021
Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan
Regulating the professions. Protecting the public.
T 306-525-9547 F 306-525-0851 Toll Free 1-800-500-9547
APEGS acknowledges that it regulates the engineering and geoscience professions in the jurisdiction of Saskatchewan which is comprised of portions of lands from Treaties 2, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 10, the territories of the Nêhiyawak (Cree), Anihšināpēk (Salteaux), Dene, Dakota, Lakota and Nakoda nations, and the homeland of the Métis Nation.