Due to COVID-19, the APEGS office is closed and staff is working remotely until further notice. Our response time may be longer than usual. We appreciate your patience, and we apologize for the inconvenience.
Self Assessment - Geoscience
This page explains what the purpose of the self-assessment is and how to do it. The self assessment table that you must fill out is based on the academic requirement set out in the document "Geoscience Knowledge and Experience Guidelines for Professional Registration in Canada" (GKE) that is published by Geoscientists Canada.
The Canadian Geoscience Standards Council of Geoscientists Canada has developed the GKE document to describe the generalized content required in a four year bachelor of science degree in Geoscience in three different streams: Geology, Geophysics and Environmental Geoscience. The requirements for each stream are outlined in the corresponding self assessment tables attached below.
APEGS uses the GKE to determine if the content of your education has equivalent breadth and depth to a Canadian four-year Bachelor's Degree in geoscience.
Why do I have to do a self assessment?
You know your academic background the best. To help the Reviewer performing the academic assessment, you must complete a self assessment. The self-assessment demonstrates to the Reviewer how your academic training compares to the Canadian standard as set out in the GKE.
How do I complete the self assessment?
If you do not follow the self assessment guidelines below APEGS will ask you to redo your self assessment! This will delay your application.
You must use the course list, credits, and grade from your WES course-by-course assessment to complete the self-assessment form.
Self Assessment Guidelines
- Each table contains five sections. There are minimum requirements for each section, which are described in the header for that section. The titles of the required subjects are listed in the left-hand column. The detailed content of each subject is outlined in the GKE. It is not included in the self assessment table.
- You must complete the left-hand C2 column with the appropriate year, course name, credits, and grade from your WES assessment. In the right-hand C2 column you must provide the page number of the syllabus description document that corresponds to the description for that course, and the name of the course (if different than your WES assessment).
- DO NOT enter any information in column C3 or C4, they are for APEGS staff and Academic Review Committee.
- A digital version of your self assessment (in word format) must be sent to APEGS by email (email@example.com).
- All courses listed in your self assessment must be documented on the WES assessment and program syllabus provided as part of your application.
- Provide only the relevant math/science and geoscience syllabus descriptions, clearly labeled.
- For each subject in the table, choose the most relevant course you took in that subject.
Please make your assessment as accurate, complete, and explicit as possible, since it will be used as a guide by the person who reviews your file.
Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan
Regulating the professions. Protecting the public.