Technical Exams - Geoscience
This page explains the application process for geoscientist-in-training applicants who have been assigned technical exams by the academic review committee. If you have not had an academic review and have not been assigned exams, you should not be submitting an application to write technical exams.
Exam Schedule and Fees
Some technical exams for geoscience are offered through the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) and some are offered through Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO). The exams are offered twice a year in May and December.
The exam applications will be posted on this webpage once they are available. There are two different applications, one for APEGA exams and one for PEO exams. For a list of exams offered by APEGA click here APEGA exams. For a list of exams offered by PEO click here PEO exams.
The fee for writing APEGA exams is $190.00 per paper OR $400.00 if you are the only exam candidate who registers for a particular exam. The fee for writing PEO exams is $210.00 plus the applicable invigilation fees.
Exam Application Process
1. Carefully read through the letter you received from APEGS to ensure that you apply for the correct exam.
2. Click here to download the PEO Technical Exam Application-December 2019. You must print out the form and sign it. Email the completed form to email@example.com and use the subject title "Technical Exam Application".
The PEO exams will be written December 9,10,11,12 and 13, 2019. The deadline to submit an application is August 21, 2019. Late registrations will be accepted until October 23, 2019 provided the requested exam has already been scheduled. The last day to withdraw from an exam with a full refund is September 4, 2019. Click here for more details on APEGS' exams program.
December 2019 Exam Information
What Happens Next?
1. Although the technical exams are set by APEGA and PEO, APEGS will coordinate the exam writing process for you. APEGS will confirm receipt of your application by sending you a receipt for payment of the exam application fee.
2. The technical exam schedule will be posted on this page of the website as soon as it is made available by PEO. You should check here to find the date and time of your exam(s).
3. If you choose to write your exam in Regina, you must write it at the APEGS office and APEGS staff will invigilate for you. APEGS also has sites in Moose Jaw, North Battleford, Prince Albert, Yorkton and Saskatoon where we will arrange the invigilation service at a cost of $25.00 per hour. If you choose to write your exam in a location not listed here, you must arrange for someone to invigilate the exam for you. The invigilator must be either a P.Eng. or P.Geo. registered in Canada, or an administrative official with a post-secondary institution, or another suitable person approved by APEGS.
4. If you are not writing your exam at one of the pre-arranged APEGS locations, you must notify APEGS of the person who has agreed to invigilate your exam and you must provide their contact information including full name, address, phone number, and email address. APEGS will contact them to confirm they are willing to act as an invigilator and explain the process to them. You are responsible to pay for any additional invigilation fees.
5. APEGS will provide the exam paper and instructions to the invigilator. The invigilator will send the completed exam back to APEGS by courier. You are responsible to pay for the cost to send the exam back to APEGS.
6. APEGS sends the exams to APEGA or PEO for marking. The results of your exam will be sent to you by mail approximately 45 working days after the last exam is written.
7. You will not be permitted to view your exam after it has been marked. There is an option to request a re-read (cost of $330) if you do not agree with the result.
How do I find study materials for my exam?
The Exam Information document provides important information on the APEGS exam program and process. You should read it before you proceed with your exam application. The exam schedule, exam formats and list of aids permitted will be posted here once they are available.