Work Experience Reporting - Engineering
Announcements posted Oct 11, 2019:
1) The ERC will no longer be doing official interim assessments as of Nov 15, 2019. A replacement for interim assessments in order to provide informal feedback to applicants is currently being decided.
2) Canadian Environment Competencies come into effect on Jan 1, 2020. This change affects international graduates as well as any Canadian graduates who have only experience from outside Canada and the USA.
The details are as follows:
- All Engineers-in-Training and Engineer-in-Training applicants being assessed in the online CBA system are required to demonstrate the following eight competencies in a Canadian or Equivalent-to-Canadian work environment, effective January 1, 2020: 1.1, 1.6, 1.9, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 5.1, 6.2. Each of the competencies must be passed with a rating of the applicable Category average.
- Any competency assessment submitted to Validators for validation on or after Jan 1, 2020 is required to meet the new Canadian Environment Competency requirement. This includes competencies that need to be re-submitted and were ready for validation on or after Jan 1, 2020.
Version 14 of the CBA Guide with full details will be posted to Related Attachments below by Oct 23.
Ensure that you have read thoroughly and understand all experience reporting guidelines before beginning your work experience submission. This will greatly increase the chance of success and reduce the risk of being required to re-submit.
This page contains information on the new, online Competency-Based Assessment (CBA) experience reporting system which came into effect on January 1, 2019. For the background on the change to CBA for engineers-in-training, click here.
If you are a professional engineer in the United States and you have an up-to-date NCEES Record, then your NCEES Record will suffice for experience reporting, academic documents and references. There is no need to submit experience reports on APEGS forms if you will be submitting your NCEES Record.
This web page contains the following information on the new CBA system (see Related Documents and Links at the bottom of this page for these items):
- Competency Assessment Guide for Applicants, Validators and Assessors
- CBA Experience Reporting Orientation presentation
- Link to the online CBA reporting system
How to Submit Experience in the online CBA system
Select the “Applicants” section.
Read and follow the instructions on screen.
Create an account in the online CBA system if you have not already. Set your Registration ID as your 5-digit APEGS User ID (registration number or application file number). Choose “Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan” as your jurisdiction.
Accounts are approved manually Monday to Friday, excluding statutory holidays. You will receive an email notification once your account is approved.
After your account is approved, you will access the system by selecting “I am a registered user and would like to access the Engineering Competency Assessment System”.
Begin entering your information following the instructions on the screen. Please note that your education information will not show in the online CBA system yet, that is coming in the near future.
We send experience results by email when results are ready and do not provide results over the phone. Please do not contact the APEGS office for experience results. You can also check experience and application status in APEGS Central (your online profile) by clicking "Login" in the top right corner on the APEGS website then navigating to "Applications" then select your professional member application workflow.
Experience Reporting Orientation Presentation
Live orientation sessions are normally scheduled twice per year in Regina and Saskatoon. See the APEGS Events calendar for the next presentation date. If there are none shown there, then the next one has not been booked. The latest version of the presentation is also in the Related Attachments below.
Experience Reporting in the outgoing, paper-based system
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on experience reporting can be found here.
If you have questions about experience reporting contact APEGS at 306-525-9547 or 1-800-500-9547 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Because of the high volume of inquiries to the APEGS office, please allow a couple of weeks for a response.
Related Documents and Links
Competency Assessment Guide_APEGS_v13_final.pdf - Version 13 (posted Oct 11, 2019)
CBA Orientation_March2019_Orientation_v9.pdf - Version 9 (posted July 10, 2019)
Live presentations are given twice per year in Regina and Saskatoon. Check the APEGS Events calendar for upcoming sessions that have been booked.
Link to the online Engineering Competency Assessment System:
Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan
Achieving a Safe & Prosperous Future Through Engineering & Geoscience