Notes From APEGS Council
The APEGS Council met Thursday June 21, 2018 at the Gallagher Center in Yorkton. 16 of 19 Councillors were present. Mike Griffin, APEGS legal counsel, attended as a guest. Council will meet next on October 5, 2018 in Regina. On October 4, 2018 council will be meeting with the APEGS past presidents, also in Regina.
Council received the following presentations and information items:
• The Executive Director and Registrar provided council with a presentation on self-regulation.
• Mike Griffin, LL.B., APEGS external legal counsel delivered a presentation on fiduciary responsibility.
• Activity updates were provided from the constituent society liaisons, the ACEC-SK liaison, the Sponsorship Task Group liaison and the 30by30 Task Group Liaison.
• The Executive Director and Registrar provided council with an update on staffing. Additional staff have been hired as a result of a large increase in international applicants. The Assistant Director of Registration updated council on renovations at the APEGS office to accommodate the new staff.
• The Director of Special Projects reported on the development and testing of the new member database. The project has incurred some delays and detailed timelines and action items to mitigate further delays were provided to council. The project budget will not be impacted because it is a fixed price contract.
• The Director of Registration reported on the new “tools” being implemented for onboarding new council members: the APEGS Buddy Councillor (ABC) Program – a mentoring program for new councilors; and the New Council Orientation, a half day seminar delivered on June 20, 2018.
• The APEGS Director to Engineers Canada reported on activities at the national organization. The APEGS Director to Geoscientists Canada unable to attend in person and submitted a written report to council.
Council passed motions as follows:
• Approving the updated Assessor’s Guide, which clarifies the process for re-assessment. Two scenarios where three re-Assessors are required. a) the initial two Assessors agree that some or all competencies are not passed, or b) lack of consensus between the initial two Assessors.
• Appointing Malcolm Reeves, P.Eng., P.Geo., FEC, FGC as Chair of the Academic Review Committee for a two-year term. Approving Life Membership for the following members:
• Danyluk, Terence K., P.Geo.
• Karsan, Alnoor, P.Eng.
• Little, Grant D., P.Eng.
• McLean, Richard G., P.Eng.
• Pappas, Ernie S., P.Eng.
• Rorquist, Wayne D., P.Eng.
• Scobie, Kevin R., P.Eng.
• Appointing Danae Lemieux, P.Eng., as Chair of the Communications and Public Relations Committee for a two-year term.
• Appointing Rob Stables, P.Eng., as Chair of the Equity and Diversity Committee for a two-year term.
• Appointing Zahra Darzi, P.Eng., FEC, as Chair of the Professional Edge Committee for a two-year term.
• Appointing Russell Johnson, P.Eng. and Ross Welford, P.Eng. to the Investigation Committee for a three-year term.
• Appointing Brent Marjerison, P.Eng., Kaylee Puchala, P.Eng. and Jason Whitelaw, Engineer-in-Training to the Investigation Committee for a three-year term to begin October 1, 2018.
• Appointing Connor Wright, P.Eng., Don George, P.Eng., Satya Panigrahi, P.Eng., Jody Scammel, P.Eng. and Jaime Tratch, P.Eng. to the Discipline Committee for a second three-year term.
Council noted and received the following reports:
Registrar’s reports for March, April and May 2018.
The report on compliance activities for January 1 to May 31, 2018 and the CPD reporting statistic report for 2017.
The unaudited financial statements for March and April 2018.
Executive Committee minutes, Board minutes and the reports from the committees.
APEGS Value Proposition (AVP)
On June 22, 2018, also at the Gallagher Center in Yorkton, council, APEGS staff and committee representatives conducted a full day of AVP planning. The planning session was facilitated by T. Bakkeli Consultants Inc.