- Act and Bylaw Review
Act and Bylaw Review
APEGS is engaging in a review of the Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act and associated bylaws. The act and bylaws have not been reviewed since 1997. Review is important to help us regulate the professions more effectively. With the introduction of the Labour Mobility and Fair Registration Practices Act in May 2022, the time is right to evolve our processes and increase our responsiveness.
We are not alone. Other provincial professional regulators in Saskatchewan and engineering and geoscience regulators throughout Canada have gone or are going through the same changes as APEGS.
Themes of Change
- Simplify: Move specifics from the act to bylaws and procedures
- Modernize Terminology: Use terminology that is inclusive and easily understood by the public and reflects our role as a regulator.
- Expand Entity Regulation: Give APEGS scope to audit and enforce standards of practice and investigate and discipline business entities, in addition to individual registrants.
- Increase Public Representation and Accountability: Increase involvement of public representatives in the governance of APEGS and enhance our accountability to the public.
- Modernize Registration Framework: Ensure registration categories and processes reflect current public expectations of inclusivity, fairness, transparency and timeliness.
- Improve Efficiency, Effectiveness and Transparency of Governance Processes: Improve the ability for the council to represent members and maintain strategic oversight, while empowering the executive director and registrar to manage operations through a cohesive bylaw and policy framework, ensuring that the public understands what APEGS is doing to regulate in their best interest.
- Investigation and Discipline Transparency: Improve transparency of processes and provide clarity on roles of APEGS, council, and public. (Potentially develop an appeals committee separate from council.)
September 2023 to November 2023 – Review the act and bylaws and note desired changes, consulting with the Minister in the process
December 2023 – Provide Minister with draft amendments
January 2024 to May 2024 – Work with Minister to develop the draft legislative proposal
May 2024 to December 2024 –Stakeholder engagement
January 2025 to August 2025 – Prepare decision item for cabinet approval
September 2025 to December 2025 – Introduce bill through to royal assent
Commitment to Ongoing Communication
The task group will keep momentum and continue with our original thinking of reviewing and recommending changes and pass along to government to carry out their legislative process.
Watch for updates on progress through outreach channels: The Edge Monthly e-newsletter (emailed on the 15th of each month or next business day), The Professional Edge print magazine (mailed in June and December).