- Complaints and Enforcement
- Discipline Hearings & Notices
Discipline Hearings & Notices
Where the report of the Investigation Committee recommends that the Discipline Committee hear and determine a formal complaint, the Discipline Committee shall appoint a suitable Discipline Panel, which will include the Public Representative, to conduct the hearing in accordance with section 34 of The Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act. The Discipline Panel has the same powers as the Discipline Committee. The Discipline Committee and Discipline Panel receive staff support from the APEGS office and have access to legal counsel.
Hearings are open to the public, however, the Discipline Panel may exclude certain members of the public and/or the complainant from any part of the hearing when the Discipline Panel is of the opinion that evidence brought in the presence of the person(s) to be excluded will unduly violate the privacy of an individual other than the member whose conduct is the subject of the hearing.
The Discipline Hearing
When the complaint proceeds to a discipline hearing, a written notice of the hearing is prepared and served on the member or certificate of authorization holder named. The complainant is also notified. Complainants may be called to serve as witnesses at the hearing.
If the Discipline Panel finds the actions to be professional misconduct or professional incompetence, the member may be:
- expelled from the Association and struck from the register;
- suspended from the Association for a specific period of time;
- suspended from the Association until having complied with conditions such as obtaining specified training, medical treatment or counseling, or undergoing treatment for substance addiction;
- restricted to practice only under conditions such as limiting practice to specified types of work or in partnership with a specified member, obtaining specified training, medical treatment or counseling, or undergoing treatment for substance addiction;
- reprimanded; or
- penalized in any other way that the panel considers just.
Please note: In addition to these penalties, the Discipline Panel may impose a fine of up to $15,000 and may assess costs of the hearing to the member or the certificate of authorization holder.
Notice of Discipline Hearings
|Member||Notice of Hearing|
|Scott Oakley Gullacher||Notice of Hearing March 13, 2023|
Discipline Decisions and Orders
|Scott Oakley Gullacher||Decision and Interim Order January 24, 2023|
|Member not Named||Member found not guilty|
|Bill (Xiangjun) Ma||Decision and Order May 23 2022|
|Member not Named||Decision and Order April 22, 2022|
|Member not Named||Decision and Order March 24, 2021|
|Bilal Mahboob||Decision and Order Jan 28, 2021|
|Behnam Torkan||Decision and Order December 6, 2018|
|Member not Named||Decision and Order December 6, 2018|
|Member not Named||Decision and Order Oct 30, 2017|
|Member not Named||Decision and Order Nov 24 2016|
|James C. Hum||Summary Decision and Order Jan 22, 2015
Decision and Order Nov 23, 2016
|P. Geoffrey Pybus||Decision and Order Dec 23, 2015|