Professional Engineer or Professional Geoscientist

APEGS - Professional Geoscientist

To apply as a professional member with APEGS you must first be registered as an engineer-in-training or a geoscientist-in-training with APEGS, unless you are already licensed as a professional member somewhere else in Canada. In this case, you would apply through Inter-Association Mobility. You can view this video for additional details on the application process for professional registration.


Before you can submit your application to become a P.Eng. or P. Geo. you must meet the following requirements (your application will be locked until you have completed them):

  • Have 4 years of work experience approved by the Experience Review Committee
  • Pass the Professional Practice Exam
  • Provide appropriate professional references
    • By completing your work experience through the competency assessment system.
    • Or by submitting them with your professional member application form (you will be prompted for this information when you are filling out the professional member application form).
  • Complete an English language competence assessment

Application Process

  1. Log into your online profile by clicking “Login” in the top right corner. You will require your APEGS registration number. If you don’t remember it, please Contact Us.
  2. Select “Applications” from the quick links on the left-hand side.
  3. Select “Professional Member from APEGS Member-in-Training”.
  4. You must pay the application fee of $100 online when you submit the application. See fees for additional payment options.
Good Character Requirement

If, during the application process, APEGS discovers that an applicant may not meet the Good Character Guideline then action will be taken.

What Happens Next?

  • APEGS will contact your professional references if necessary. Reference forms are exchanged directly between referees and the APEGS office. No action is required on your part. This step is not necessary if you provided three professional validators in the competency-based assessment of your work experience.
  • After your application is approved you will be notified by email with instructions on paying your annual fees.
  • After you have paid annual fees, you will receive a certificate in the mail and an electronic image of your Professional Seal by email. If you ordered a physical stamp, it will be delivered within a few months (or slightly longer if you are located outside of Canada).
  • Once you have paid your annual fees, you are permitted to use the appropriate title (P.Eng. or P.Geo) and stamp and seal drawings.

You may submit the following applications at the same time as your professional member application (if they are required):

Permission to Consult

Permission to Consult

An eligible member who wishes to offer consulting engineering or geoscience services, directly or indirectly, must obtain Permission to Consult. There is no application fee associated with Permission to Consult, but you must also maintain your annual membership and license.

Certificate of Authorization

Certificate of Authorization (C of A)

Any partnership, association of persons (AOP), or corporation that engages in the practice of professional engineering and/or geoscience as its principal or customary function shall obtain a Certificate of Authorization (C of A).