- How to Apply (Individuals)
- Professional Engineer or Professional Geoscientist
Professional Engineer or Professional Geoscientist
To apply as a professional member with APEGS you must first be registered as an engineer-in-training or a geoscientist-in-training with APEGS, unless you are already licensed as a professional member somewhere else in Canada. In this case, you would apply through Inter-Association Mobility. You can view this video for additional details on the application process for professional registration.
Before you can submit your application to become a P.Eng. or P. Geo. you must meet the following requirements:
- Have 4 years of work experience approved by the Experience Review Committee
- Pass the Professional Practice Exam
- Obtain three professional geoscientists or professional engineers who will act as references
- Complete an English language competence assessment
- Log into your online profile by clicking “Login” in the top right corner. You will require your APEGS registration number. If you don’t remember it, please Contact Us.
- Select “Applications” from the quick links on the left-hand side.
- Select “Professional Member from APEGS Member-in-Training”.
- You must pay the application fee of $100 online when you submit the application. See fees for additional payment options.
Good Character Requirement
If, during the application process, APEGS discovers that an applicant may not meet the Good Character Guideline then action will be taken.
What Happen Next?
IMPORTANT: As of Jan. 1, 2023, APEGS updated the requirements for Professional References. Please refer to FAQ for details.
- APEGS will contact your professional references if necessary. Reference forms are exchanged directly between referees and the APEGS office. No action is required on your part. This step is not necessary if you provided three professional validators in the competency-based assessment of your work experience.
- After your application is approved you will be notified by email with instructions on paying your annual fees.
- After you have paid annual fees, you will receive a certificate in the mail and an electronic image of your Professional Seal by email. If you ordered a physical stamp, it will be delivered within a few months (or slightly longer if you are located outside of Canada).
- Once you have paid your annual fees, you are permitted to use the appropriate title (P.Eng. or P.Geo) and stamp and seal drawings.
You may submit the following applications at the same time as your professional member application (if they are required):
Permission to Consult
An eligible member who wishes to offer consulting engineering or geoscience services, directly or indirectly, must obtain Permission to Consult. There is no application fee associated with Permission to Consult, but you must also maintain your annual membership and license.
Certificate of Authorization (C of A)
Any partnership, association of persons (AOP), or corporation that engages in the practice of professional engineering and/or geoscience as its principal or customary function shall obtain a Certificate of Authorization (C of A).