In the APEGS process, becoming an engineer-in-training is the first step towards registration as a Professional Engineer, regardless of how much experience you may have, or from where you received your education.

To become an engineer-in-training you must demonstrate that you have met the academic requirement for licensure as a professional engineer.

For information on the application process, choose the option below that best applies to you.

As of January 2024, APEGS no longer issues physical or electronic seals to members in training. Rather, APEGS will issue an electronic certificate showing that an individual is registered with APEGS as a member in training.

Members in training are not licensed to practice the engineering or geoscience professions independently. Any work they do must be directly supervised by a person who is licensed to practice the professions and who is taking responsibility for the work. The purpose of this change is to provide clarity to both members in training and the public that only professionals taking responsibility for engineering or geoscience work may sign and seal the work.

APEGS will continue to issue to every professional member a physical certificate suitable for framing and an electronic image of their seal once they have been approved and paid their annual fees.

Engineer-in-Training – Canadian Graduate

If you have a Canadian bachelor’s degree in engineering accredited by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB) you should apply under the Engineer-in-Training – Canadian Graduate category.

Engineer-in-Training – International Graduate

If you have a bachelor’s degree in engineering from outside of Canada you should apply under the Engineer-in-Training –International Graduate category.

Engineer-in-Training – Previously Licensed with APEGS

If you were previously licensed as an engineer-in-training with APEGS, please visit the Reinstatement section on our site for information on how to re-apply.

Engineer-in-Training – Elsewhere in Canada

If you are an engineer-in-training, or have met the academic requirement for licensure elsewhere in Canada, you may apply through a simplified process that’s available through Inter-Association Mobility.