Engineer-in-Training – International Graduates

International Graduates International Graduates

Below is the application process for engineer-in-training applicants with an international bachelor’s degree in engineering (regardless of whether you have a Canadian master’s degree or PhD).

  1. Review the full details of the application process here, then create a user account with APEGS here.
  2. You will need to check your email for an “APEGS sign up verification” from The link in this email will take you to the APEGS Central homepage.
  3. Once on this page, go to the “Applications” quick link on the left side of the page, select “Apply Now” and choose the “Engineer-in-Training International Graduate” application type. To submit your application online you must pay the application fee by credit card (go to fees to view additional payment options).
  4. Apply to World Education Services (WES) for an ICAP course-by-course credential assessment and include APEGS as a recipient.
    • If you are unable to obtain a WES assessment, please Contact Us for more information.
  5. You must send the following required documents to APEGS:
    • Official Canadian Transcripts (if you have relevant, Canadian, post-secondary education) Issued directly to APEGS by the institution (this may be in the form of an electronic delivery to via an electronic delivery system supported by the institution, such as MyCreds).
      Please Note: Transcripts must include degree awarded and date conferred.
      If date conferred is not on the transcript, then you must ALSO have the institution provide a letter directly to APEGS indicating that the requirements have been met for conferral.
      The letter must contain: Your name, degree awarded (including discipline), and date of conferral. This can be emailed directly to APEGS by the institution to
    • Proof of Identification Form (fillable pdf with instructions)

After we have received your WES assessment, if we determine that you must undergo a full Academic Assessment, APEGS will add Resume and Academic Assessment Fee to your Requirements List in your online profile.

Good Character Requirement

If, during the application process, APEGS discovers that an applicant may not meet the Good Character Guideline then action will be taken.

WES Details

If any of the following special cases apply to you, then you should apply for the ICAP Document-by-Document Credential Assessment. Otherwise, you must apply for the ICAP Course-by-Course Credential Assessment.

Special Case #1: You have a degree that is accredited under the Washington Accord mutual recognition agreement. Once your WES assessment has been received, APEGS will check to make sure you qualify in this category. If you do not, you must upgrade to the ICAP course-by-course credential assessment.

To qualify under the Washington Accord:

  • The date of your graduation must be after the accreditation organization in your country became a member of the Washington Accord.
  • Your degree must be on the list of accredited programs in your country.
  • Your program must have been accredited at the time you graduated.
  • All subjects must have been taken as part of an accredited program.

Special Case #2: You are a licensed Professional Engineer in the United States. APEGS will accept a National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) NCEES Record instead of the WES assessment.

APEGS will accept NCEES experience records again as off September 24th, 2021, with the following additional requirements.

  • Must have some experience on the NCEES record from within the past 2 years that is validated by a PE with first-hand knowledge of that experience.
  • If at least 1 year of experience is from within North America, 48 months of experience credit will be approved.
  • If there is no experience from within North America, then 36 months of credit will be approved, and the applicant will be required to meet the Canadian Environment Competencies in the Competency-based Assessment (CBA) system to be given credit for the final 12 months.
  • If the applicant has some experience, but less than 1 year from within the United States, it will be at the discretion of ERC as to whether the applicant will be required to meet the Canadian Environment Competencies in the CBA system

Special Case #3: If you have a professional engineering licence in Hong Kong, Ireland, Australia or Mexico, follow the instructions on the respective pages of the section on professional level international mobility for the required documents and application process.

What Happens Next?

  1. After you have submitted your application and WES assessment (sent to APEGS by WES), APEGS will let you know if an academic assessment is required. There is a fee for an academic assessment and you may be required to complete a self-assessment.
  2. If you do not meet the minimum requirement for an academic assessment your application will be denied.
  3. After APEGS has received your resume and academic assessment fee, you will notified if a self-assessment is required.
  4. If a self-assessment is required, it will be added to your requirements list.
  5. After your self-assessment has been received your status will be changed to “In Progress” and you will be sent an email notification.
  6. The Academic Review Committee will determine whether you have met the academic requirement for professional licensure based on the Canadian Engineering Qualifications Board (CEQB) Syllabi and you will be notified of the result by email.
  7. Once you have been approved and paid your registration fees, you can use the “engineer-in-training” title.

Please Note: You must keep your APEGS profile information up to date, as APEGS will regularly need to contact you by both email and regular mail.