The online professional development module, The Law and Professional Practice in Engineering and Geoscience, provides valuable information on professionalism and the law as they relate to the professional practice of engineering and geoscience. The module educates engineering and geoscience professionals about Canadian and Saskatchewan laws and can help them understand when to seek professional legal advice to protect the public and the environment.
The module is organized in segments with a short quiz at the end of each one:
- Introduction, Professionalism and Professional Regulation
- Overview of the “Blue Book” (The Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act, the Regulatory Bylaws, and the Administrative Bylaws)
- Law Introduction
- Property Law
- Contract Law
- Tort Law
- Dispute Resolution and Remedies
- Labour and Employment Law
- OH&S, Environmental and Criminal Law Issues
- Duty to Consult
Members-in-training and licensee applicants are strongly encouraged to complete the module by the time they are registered as professionals or licensees. Training on Saskatchewan-specific law and ethics topics is valuable and essential. Completion of this module, along with the online ethics modules are important preparation for professional practice.
Members can claim three hours of Formal Activity in the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Program*.
STEP 1. Click here to access the online law module at an external third-party website.
STEP 2. Log in
- If this is your first time on the site, you will need to create a user account. The online ethics modules are on the same site so you may have already created an account if you have completed an ethics module in the past. This site is not connected to the APEGS database. This means you will need to create a new username and password specific to this site.
STEP 3. Select the module you wish to view
- Once you have successfully logged into the third- party site, you can select the module you wish to complete.
- If needed, you can pause the video and come back later to watch the remaining portion. The system will remember where you left off.
- At the end of the video, a certificate of completion will appear on your dashboard. This is your proof of completion. Download the certificate and keep a copy in their personal records for at least three years in case you are selected for a review of your CPD reporting.
STEP 4. Add the completed course to your CPD Activity Tracker
- You can re-watch the videos at any time. However, the system will only generate a certificate the first time the module is completed.
- If you are using the CPD Activity Tracker provided by APEGS, add it to your spreadsheet under the Formal Activity category.