Professional Practice Exam
It is required that you pass the professional practice exam as part of the qualification for registration as a professional member. The exam is on Canadian law, ethics and professional practice, and it is not a technical exam.
Please read this entire web page carefully before completing the application form below.
- The APEGS Professional Practice Examination is a three-hour, closed-book examination.
- The passing mark is 65%.
- Before you can apply for the exam, you must be registered as an Engineer-in-Training, Geoscientist-in-Training or Temporary Licensee, or completing the Licensee probation period, with APEGS.
- Also, in order to be eligible to write the exam, you have to have submitted at least one fully completed post-bachelor engineering or geoscience work experience report to the APEGS office (except for Temporary Licensees who are applying to become Professional Engineer). The report can be for experience obtained anywhere in the world. This does not include experience reports submitted by international graduates who have been given the option to submit five years of work experience in order to waive confirmatory exams (these applicants must first be approved as a member-in-training before they are permitted to write the exam).
- Note that 'post-bachelors' does not mean post-graduate, it means any experience obtained after receiving your bachelor degree.
- The experience does not have to be approved in order for you to write the exam, the report simply needs to be at our office and has to be completed in full (all required signatures, etc).
See report submission deadline dates below.
Registration deadlines, seminar and exam dates:
Note : no applications will be accepted after the deadlines and we are unable to email receipts to you, they will be mailed.
Fall 2017 Exam
- August 11, 2017 - Registration deadline for the fall exam and seminar AND deadline for submission of post-bachelors work experience report (if none submitted previously). The application form is in the Related Documents below. Note that Temporary Licensees who are writing the PPE do not have to submit any experience reports.
- August 11, 2017 - Last day to postpone or cancel seminar and/or exam (re-application would be required in the future if you don't notify us by this date that you wish to postpone or cancel)
- September 15 and 16, 2017 - Law and Ethics Seminar (Regina)
- November 4, 2017, 9:00 am - Professional Practice Exam (Regina and Saskatoon)
Spring 2018 Exam
- March 16, 2018 - Registration deadline for spring exam and seminar AND deadline for submission of post-bachelors work experience report (if none submitted previously). The application form is in the Related Documents below. Note that Temporary Licensees who are writing the PPE do not have to submit any experience reports.
- March 16, 2018 - Last day to postpone or cancel seminar and/or exam (re-application would be required in the future if you don't notify us by this date that you wish to postpone or cancel)
- April 20 & 21, 2018 - Law and Ethics Seminar (Saskatoon)
- May 26, 2018, 9:00 am - Professional Practice Exam (Regina and Saskatoon)
The seminar runs from 9:00 am to 7:30 pm on Friday and 8:30 am to approximately 4:00 pm on Saturday. You will be notified of the exact location of the seminar and exam approximately two weeks prior to the date.
Alternative Arrangements for Writing the Exam
It is possible to request an alternative location or date for writting the PPE.
Examinations will always be held in Regina and Saskatoon and will be arranged for other locations if warranted. Applicants should indicate their first choice of examination location on the application form and, if the first choice is not Regina or Saskatoon, give either Regina or Saskatoon as a second choice on the application form or an alternate location (see next paragraph). Alternate locations are approved on a case-by-case basis.
You will be notified of the exact location of the exam approximately two weeks prior to the date.
APEGS may, at its discretion, arrange for the exam to be held on an alternate date or another location in anywhere in the world. In such cases, a special arrangements fee of $250 plus 5% GST will be assessed. A written request to write on an alternate date or in an alternate location including reasons must be submitted to the APEGS office along with the exam application form, and all fees including the special arrangement fee. If the Professional Practice Exam is written in a location other than Regina or Saskatoon and the completed exam is lost in transit by the courier, the candidate will be required to re-write using a special exam as soon as possible.
A minimum of one month's notice is required to write the PPE on an alternate date.
The registration fee for both the exam and seminar is $305 plus 5% GST. Attendance at the seminar is not compulsory for exam candidates but no reduction in fees is available for those who do not to attend. The seminar is an excellent resource for preparing you for professional practice as well as for the exam.
Exam Study Materials
Exam candidates are responsible for the following materials, which are available from the Association office. These may be ordered using the exam application form attached below.
- Canadian Professional Engineering and Geoscience: Practice and Ethics
- Practical Law of Architecture, Engineering, and Geoscience
Some of the material that is provided at the Law and Ethics Seminar is attached below, although not all material provided at the seminar is posted here. Please refer to the attachment below named 'List of Law and Ethics Seminar Material' for further information. If you have any questions after reviewing all of the attachments below, please call Alex Chabun at 1-800-500-9547 (anywhere in North America) or 306-525-9547 (in Regina) or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Attention: Effective June 1, 2017, there will be an increase in the price of the two textbooks. The price will increase from $120.00 per book to $130.00 per book. The registration forms and website will be updated accordingly.
Video - Brief overview of the PPE
Below is a link to a video of the brief overview of the PPE on the APEGS YouTube channel.
You may submit the completed form by email to email@example.com, mail or fax to 306-525-0851
1.0 Introduction to Professionalism Spring 2017.pdf
2.0 Overview of Blue Book Spring 2017.pdf
3.1 Law - Intro Spring 2017.pdf
3.2 Law - Property Spring 2017.pdf
3.3 Law - Contracts Spring 2017.pdf
3.4 Law - Torts Spring 2017.pdf
3.5 Law - Dispute Resolution and Remedies Spring 2017.pdf
3.6 Law - Labour and Employment Spring 2017.pdf
3.7 Law - OHS Environment and Criminal Spring 2017.pdf
3.8 Law - Duty to Consult Spring 2017.pdf
4.0 Continuting Professional Development Spring 2017.pdf
5.0 Ethics Presentation Spring 2017.pdf
6.0 Professional Practice Exam Spring 2017.pdf
7.0 InvestigDisc Spring 2017.pdf
8.0 Prohibition Spring 2017.pdf
APEGS Good Character Guideline
A Guide to Copyrights
A Guide To Industrial Design
A Guide To Integrated Circuit Topographies
A Guide to Patents
A Guide to Trade Marks
Energy Conservation Is an Ethic
Environmental Guidelines for APEGS Members
Engineers Canada Guideline on the Professional Engineering Practice in Canada
Engineers Canada Guideline on the Professional Practice Examination
Gilbane Gold Possible Complaints
The Fable of the Consulting Engineer
Canadian Law Overview