Due to COVID-19, the APEGS office is closed and staff is working remotely until further notice. Our response time may be longer than usual. We appreciate your patience, and we apologize for the inconvenience.
The Canadian Light Source Inc. (CLSI) is seeking an Engineering Manager in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
To view the original job posting please see THE CANADIAN LIGHT SOURCE - Engineering Manager.pdf
The Canadian Light Source Inc. (CLSI) is the national synchrotron research facility on the University of Saskatchewan campus in Saskatoon. This facility produces high‐intensity synchrotron light, millions of times brighter than sunlight, to explore the nature and structure of molecules and serves national and international users from academia, industry, and government institutions. The CLS facilitates scientific research aimed at finding solutions for global challenges in agriculture, health, advanced materials, and the environment.
CLSI is now accepting applications for an Engineering Manager in the Machine Division. Reporting to the Machine Director, the Engineering Manager holds primary responsibility for planning, organizing, developing and directing Engineers and CAD staff and for the overall maintenance and design of technical systems for the CLS facility.
- Manages the maintenance, development and upgrade of Engineering systems, including conventional technical systems, beamlines, accelerators and protection systems.
- Ensures the effective and timely response to all queries and requests specific to Engineering services.
- Ensures that department planning, organization, development and direction decisions are consistent with agreed to directions established in consultation with key stakeholders.
- Establishes and implements department‐wide short‐ and long‐term goals and objectives; monitors and evaluates program/project effectiveness and effects changes required for improvement.
- Engages with the international light source engineering community to keep up‐to‐date on global trends in synchrotron engineering and technology.
- Designs, establishes, and maintains a departmental structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the department’s goals and objectives.
- Ensures that contracted services are properly supervised and completed in accordance with contracts/work orders.
- Works with stakeholders to define business and systems requirements for new technology implementation and oversees special projects such as the design of prototypes.
- Undertakes special projects as assigned and works independently on broad, general assignments, with responsibility for planning, direction, and conduct of all associated activities.
- Participates in external committees and events that enhance the CLS image as assigned.
- Manages human resources activities of their direct reports, including recruitment and selection, supervision, scheduling, professional development and performance management according to CLS policies, guidelines and the Collective Agreement as applicable.
- Prepares and plans the departments operating and capital budget, forecasts needs of the department and ensures the proper utilization of financial resources.
- Some travel may be required to conferences, workshops, collaborations or industry visits for supply contracts.
- A relevant undergraduate degree in Engineering
- A minimum of 10 years of related experience, with experience in a management role.
- Eligible for Professional membership in the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan (APEGS)
- Excellent communication and conflict resolution skills
- Previous project management and/or supervisory experience is required
Remuneration: Remuneration will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. A comprehensive benefits package, including supplemental health & dental, life insurance, pension plan, and four weeks’ vacation is part of a competitive compensation package.
To Apply: Submit a resume along with references, in confidence, online at www.lightsource.ca/careers. Applications will be considered as of September 17, 2021, and will continue until the position is filled. While all applicants are thanked for their interest, only short‐listed candidates will be contacted.
Canadian Light Source Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and encourages members of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, people with disabilities, and visible minorities) to self‐identify on their applications.
Active from 9/2/2021 to 10/2/2021
Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan
Regulating the professions. Protecting the public.
T 306-525-9547 F 306-525-0851 Toll Free 1-800-500-9547
APEGS acknowledges that it regulates the engineering and geoscience professions in the jurisdiction of Saskatchewan which is comprised of portions of lands from Treaties 2, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 10, the territories of the Nêhiyawak (Cree), Anihšināpēk (Salteaux), Dene, Dakota, Lakota and Nakoda nations, and the homeland of the Métis Nation.