Due to COVID-19, the APEGS office is closed and staff is working remotely until further notice. Our response time may be longer than usual. We appreciate your patience, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Pre-Arrival Settlement Courses


Moving to Saskatchewan, one of Canada’s Prairie Provinces can be challenging and full of surprises!


Regina Open Door Society (RODS) sopa@rods.sk.ca, a local newcomer settlement agency is providing a free online course with specialized information to help newcomers make a smooth transition. Online courses can be accessed through the Settlement Online Pre-Arrival (SOPA) website http://www.settlementonlineprearrival.ca. You must have an initial meeting with an Intake Counsellor before you are eligible to take the courses.  If you meet eligibility requirements, you can choose either self-directed or facilitated courses. Courses range from 4 to 6 weeks in length.

APEGS, Express Entry and the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP)

Are you planning to immigrate to Canada under one of the federal economic immigration classes or SINP? If so, then you need to understand how the programs relate to your APEGS application.

Two major items that are important to remember:
* The immigration selection process is separate from the occupational licensing process.
* Meeting the Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) requirement for immigration purposes does not guarantee licensing. APEGS does a more in-depth academic assessment than the assessments required for immigration purposes.

The immigration process is completely separate from the APEGS licensing process, but getting your licence to practice professional engineering or geoscience can help to increase your chances of immigrating to Canada under the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

The Express Entry system of Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) is used to manage applications for permanent residence under these federal economic immigration classes:

* the Federal Skilled Worker Program,

* the Federal Skilled Trades Program, and

* the Canadian Experience Class.

The province of Saskatchewan can also recruit candidates from the Express Entry system through the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP) to meet local labour market needs. 

For further information on Express Entry, click here CIC Express Entry.

Under the Federal Skilled Worker Program, if you do not have a Canadian post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree, you will be required to get an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) from an agency approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada in order to show that your education is equivalent to Canadian education standards. APEGS is not involved with this assessment. This assessment does not change the requirement for APEGS to do an academic review to compare the content of your educational program to the Canadian standard.

To apply for Express Entry, go to the Government of Canada’s website at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/express/express-entry.asp

Getting Licensed to work in Saskatchewan

In order to practice engineering or geoscience in Saskatchewan, you must either become licensed by APEGS or be supervised by a professional engineer, professional geoscientist, engineering licensee, geoscience licensee or temporary licensee. To expedite your transition into the work force in Saskatchewan, it is recommended that you begin the application process with APEGS as soon as possible. There is no residency requirement for your application or approval as a member, and you can apply prior to immigrating to Canada. Having your licence will increase your chances of getting a job offer prior to coming to Canada. Getting a job offer is one of the ways you can significantly increase your chances of getting an invitation to apply for permanent residence through the Express Entry system.

To apply with APEGS you must first submit your application for engineer-in-training or geoscientist-in-training along with all the required documents.  You are expected to follow the same process as everyone else, and your application will be processed in the order that it was received by APEGS.

Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP) and APEGS licensing

Engineering and Geoscience are regulated professions in Saskatchewan.  If you plan to immigrate to Saskatchewan and work as an engineer or geoscientist then you must obtain your member-in-training licence with APEGS to be eligible to apply for SINP. 

First, you must submit your application for engineer-in-training or geoscientist-in-training along with all the required documents.  You are expected to follow the same process as everyone else, and your application will be processed in the order that it was receivedby APEGS.

APEGS will let you know if an academic review is required.  In most cases an academic review will be required, and it may take up to four months from the time a completed application (including all documentation) has been submitted until you receive the result of your academic review. If your academic review result is a denial, then you are not eligible for licensure at this time. The possible outcomes of the academic assessment are explained on the international engineering graduates page.

For more information on the licensing process, we recommend that you start on the Overview page.  

For more information on the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program, go to www.saskimmigrationcanada.ca/sinp. APEGS cannot provide answers to your questions regarding the SINP, you will have to contact them directly.

Is my profession considered the practice of engineering or geoscience in Saskatchewan?

Any person doing engineering or geoscience work on a project or property located in Saskatchewan, must be registered as a professional engineer or professional geoscientist with APEGS or be supervised by a professional engineer or professional geoscientist registered with APEGS. If the work you plan on doing in Saskatchewan is considered engineering or geoscience as shown in the definitions below, then either you need to be supervised by a registered professional or be registered as one yourself. 

The definition of the practice of engineering from section 2(m) on The Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act is as follows:

2(m) “practice of professional engineering” means any act of planning,

designing, composing, measuring, evaluating, inspecting, advising, reporting,

directing or supervising, or managing any of the foregoing, that requires the

application of engineering principles and that concerns the safeguarding of

life, health, property, economic interests, the public interest or the environment;

The definition of the practice of geoscience from section 2(n) on The Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act is as follows:

2(n) “practice of professional geoscience” means the application of

principles of geoscience that include, but are not limited to, principles of

geology, geophysics and geochemistry, to any act of acquiring or processing

data, advising, evaluating, examining, interpreting, reporting, sampling or

geoscientific surveying, that is directed toward:

(i) the discovery or development of oil, natural gas, coal, metallic

or non-metallic minerals, precious stones, water or other natural

resources; or

(ii) the investigation of surface or sub-surface geological conditions;


If you have any questions about the SINP, do not contact the APEGS office. Contact the SINP office www.saskimmigrationcanada.ca/sinp 

Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan
Regulating the professions. Protecting the public.

T 306-525-9547 F 306-525-0851 Toll Free 1-800-500-9547

APEGS acknowledges that it regulates the engineering and geoscience professions in the jurisdiction of Saskatchewan which is comprised of portions of lands from Treaties 2, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 10, the territories of the Nêhiyawak (Cree), Anihšināpēk (Salteaux), Dene, Dakota, Lakota and Nakoda nations, and the homeland of the Métis Nation.